Saturday, January 12, 2008

Does Writing Really Help You Remember?

Yes.

That said, I can think of at least three different things this question might mean. Fortunately, the answer to each is the same--at least in the short form. It does, or at least it can.

If you mean, "Will writing something down soon after the fact help you remember it later?" my experience definitely says yes. I was an avid journaler from the age of nine into my twenties, and I definitely find that reading my old journals brings back memories--not just flat stories that I can remember happening, but actual visual, experiential memories. Whether or not the act of recording itself helps afix something in your mind, I'm not certain. But it seems likely, because of the second kind of writing to remember that springs to mind--the kind you do when you're studying or trying to memorize a speech. Recreating your notes or reformatting them into an outline is a great way to help information seep into your brain and take hold.

The third possible meaning is a bit different (and I'm a bit less certain about the answer), but I still think the answer is yes. That's writing to remember something that you've already forgotten. For instance, can journaling help one to recall childhood incidents that have been buried, or just plain slipped away? Can writing down as much detail as you DO recall about a crime or an accident help to recreate the scene in your mind in order to fill in the blanks? I think so. And I think psychologists think so.

Which brings us right back to where we began. Does writing really help you remember? Yes, it can.



Wondering what the heck this is all about? Visit What's This Blog All About, Anyway?

1 comment:

krasy said...

Hi my name is Alan'a and Im 16 yrs old and Yes I completely agree with you about writting! I am doing a project about writting and peotry.I love peotry and jouranling it is my abosolutly favorite thing to do! I am going to three homes and shelters to explain to them how peotry and journaling is very beneficial in our lives. I was wondering if I could interview you over the phone because you have done journaling for a long time and have experience. My email address is hispanicluvnlady@aol.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...